Friday, February 11, 2011

Marathon Training: Rest Day Week 15

     T minus 10 days til race day. Being my first blog post I'll bring you up to speed. I've been training for the Austin LIVESTRONG Marathon for 15 weeks now, in doing so I managed to raise $635.00 for the LIVESTRONG Foundation. With only 10 days til the run I'm getting a little nervous. My goal from the beginning has to 5:30:00. Fingers crossed. The time is still my goal but the closer the race gets the more I keep telling myself, "as long as you finish, just finish."
     Training has not been easy.  In case you haven't guessed by now, this is my first marathon and I will be running in support of my little brother Andy who is winning his battle with leukemia.  I do have a kinesiology degree so I have knowledge on the subject, but actually training for a marathon makes a world of difference.  Due to certain circumstances and a tough time in my family's life (more on that in a later post), I have been forced to train with on my own and regrettably no cross-training.
     Marathon training can take a serious toll on your body and mind. At times training can become mundane and mental burn out can come into play over time. All of which I personally have now experienced. My advice to anyone reading this post and interested in running your own marathon is, set short term goals, cross train by biking, swimming, or pool running, STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH, and if possible find a training group to help along the way.
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment